The letter of application
Find all information for the successful creation of an application letter.
The letter has within the application to a job different tasks, all of which are very important. First, it should naturally arouse the interest of the company to your person. You should define the content of the competition.
A cover letter is the motivation of the candidate out clearly. While the CV and certificates only provide information about your professional qualifications and your career, the cover letter for you must speak as a person, especially if you are on the so-called “third side” of the application without.
Furthermore, the object of the application cover letter is essentially exposing your suitability characteristics for each activity and, of course, it should make the clerk of Human Resources curious about the further contents of the entire application portfolio.
5 important rules for successful application letter
- The cover letter should always refer to the respective job posting. Therefore, you should read exactly what is required to requirements and to show that you can meet these.
- You should causally involve the important points in your career to, but do not tell your resume in advance . If your resume contains negative facts, then you mention this in your letter no. In cover letter is always room for only positive aspects.
- You should avoid meaningless phrases, general idioms and lengthy presentations, for the space in the cover letter is too scarce and precious.
- The ultimate goal is to give all relevant information that speak for your person to unite in the cover letter.
- It is important to accommodate the content on a single A4 page and comply with the standards for a business letter.
Step by Step – formulation and form the cover letter
Insert own contact details
- Full name, address, telephone number and email address should always be included in the cover letter. Specifying an additional phone number is also possible to more contact options are not useful. The placement is on the letter, either in the header or top right or left.
insert recipient data
- In an unsolicited application , you need to research beforehand, to whom you are sending the application; when applying to a job advertisement stick to the address indicated therein. Important: An error that happens here often is the use of an incorrect company name. Often brand name to be confused with company names.
Insert Current Date
- The current date should be entered in the cover letter. Place it on the right-aligned writing, one or two lines below the address bar.
Common mistake: The letter is prepared and submitted to correct other people, often forgets the applicant subsequently to update the date.
- The word “Subject” is now no longer used in an application or a business letter for some time, but the name of the line has remained. There is summarized as a kind of heading very briefly, what is at stake, z. B. “Application of Key Account Manager”. For larger companies certain reference numbers are listed in the job posting often, which should be reflected in the subject line.
The address in the cover letter
- You should always have a direct contact. Applications with “Dear Madam” are too impersonal, if the name of a contact person for the job application is not identify who you are, of course, no choice. You should know that at the end of the line a comma and then only two lines further course – continues to be written – started with small letters.
Introduction in the cover letter
- Here you will briefly on the occasion of the application and of course to the details in the job advertisement or the telephone conversation that preceded the application. In the introduction, you can, for example, position the company reflect and explain your interest in the job. How did you find out? How do you know about the job?
Motivation for the job application
- Next, go one on your personal reason for applying for a job. What are you particularly interested in the job? Why at this employer? A good indication is here the “career change” or a “new challenge”. Never you should specify here that you are, for example, with their current employer dissatisfied, or the like. There should be only positive and vocational possible reasons.
Qualification for the advertised position
- Now you can market yourself and bring your knowledge and skills in relation to the advertised post. Respond to your present job and raise your personal strengths and experience shows. There must be no mere listing of your resume be, but you should explain why you are the / the best for this job. This section is the most important part of your application. Here is decided in advance, if you arrive on the stack for the interesting candidate or to the cancellation.
- In most jobs, the content request is specifically required, here you should then consider carefully what amount you specify. The content request is always given in its height in gross annual salary. In principle, however, it is to express a content request in the letter unusual without an invitation.
When vacancies in the civil service is generally abandoned within the cover letter to the content desired. In the job offers here the payment in the form of pay groups (TVöD, TV-L) is almost always indicated. These pay scales also have a stage system which is based on the professional experience.
Start date in the new position
- The starting date is often required as specified in the job descriptions, general candidates but can this place always in the cover letter. For the company, the date for the earliest start work is an important selection criterion. For example, if a candidate invited to interview, in which he offers that has to give a 4-month notice period, the place to be but already occupied in 2 months, the remainder of the conversation can spare.
- The final sentence has more of a symbolic form and is used for the completion and the completion of the versions
Possible examples: “About a positive response and the invitation to a job interview I am very pleased.” Or “to a job interview I will be available at all times.”
- You must not forget “Sincerely”, as the handwritten signature. This is of course difficult in e-mail applications. Either then omit the signature, or have the option to add a handwritten signature from the document and place.
- Finally, the words “plants” , which is not really necessary, but it dictates the shape! In many applications, the reference shall be nowadays already omitted, which is not a disadvantage. When applying by e-mail can be found today not apply.